The trauma practice sessions

Home Forums Inner Qigong Forum The trauma practice sessions

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Ann Furtado
    Participant

I feel very new to SEED but I have done a lot of bodywork and I’d like to just offer two things about the latest (wonderful) sessions.
    I’m interested in trauma work and I used Bill’s directions to focus on the area of my right cheek and jaw where I have known for many years that I hold tension. At the end of yesterday’s session, I found the breathing through the open mouth and into the stomach very profound and when encouraged to find some spontaneous movement, began to open my jaw wide and this developed into breathing with a goldfish-like opening and closing of my mouth which spread into my spine and whole body (you can be less inhibited at home!). Later, someone I happen to mention this to, commented that opening and closing the mouth is something very key in early foetus development. Is that correct Bill?
    The second thing which I’ll just say briefly, is the reaction of my cat, cats enjoying human body work is familiar I know. I have a rescue cat who suffered some kind of accident last summer where he disappeared for 36 hours and eventually dragged himself home barely able to walk with subluxated paws and a permanent limp. He’s slowly been getting better, yesterday he was extra fascinated by what I was doing, he wanted to be very close, touching me if possible and yesterday afternoon he slept, out for the count, all afternoon and he’s a nervy, restless cat, especially since his accident. I’m interested in what animals can show us and how they relate to our bodily states. I wonder what it is that is happening in us which they sense. I also wonder if they respond to voice and whether the cat was additionally listening to you Bill, I think the voice can be healing in addition to breathing deeply and completely as you were encouraging us to do. I have long wondered about the voice and resonance through the tissues
    Hope this isn’t too long a post and is of interest.

Bill Palmer
    Keymaster

Very interesting about your cat Ann. I’m sure that other animals are more sensitive to voice and movement than we are consciously. Our powerful minds can take our awareness away from the present so easily.
    As for your goldfish movements: reach from the mouth is one of the most fundamental movements, one of the first to emerge after birth and is also there in all other mammals and to a lesser extent in other phyla of animals – even in amoeba who don’t have mouths. It starts with the rooting reflex, stimulated through touch, and I feel that has a deep wisdom hidden in it. Basically that reflex is saying: “What you need is HERE, it is touching your cheek, all you need to do is turn your head and you will be fed”. So when I feel a need, I consciously ask my self “Can I satisfy that need with the things that are already close by?”. There is a great tendency amongst humans to look far away to try to satisfy an unsatisfied need. But the problem is usually that we are not opening ourselves to be nourished by what we already have.

Ann Furtado
    Participant

I’ve just read your response to my post Bill, how profound the qigong is and the language of the body if you can hear or be open to it. Incredible, thank you.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.